nutshells

drawings and observations by Zosienka the London illustrator

Monday 6 July 2009

Things hanging on strings

Quince, Cabbage, Melon and Cucumber


I was looking at things that were hanging from strings. It started with this painting which I know very well. It is by the Spanish Baroque painter, Juan Sánchez Cotán, painted 1602. Then I came across Claire Morgan's work. Installations of suspended articles. Including food, some delicious, some not. "Fantastic Mr Fox" is entrapped in a swarm of rotten rabbit meat.
These installations are meticulously assembled to create enthralling still moments of animal fantasies. Look especially closely at 'Gone with the Wind', it is composed of wild flower seeds. I think this artist is remarkable. But of course, I always loved things that were hanging from strings.


Fluid


Fantastic Mr Fox

4 comments:

  1. i like it very much...your renewed interest in things hanging from strings.
    do you, each time you consciously get back to the theme or suddenly rediscover it, go into it a little bit deeper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, but maybe unconsciously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that mr fox! i wonder how long it takes to install :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW these are lovely. And i LOVE the painting of things hanging on strings. I will now spend the next 6 minutes thinking about what i can hang from a string...starting with my boyfriend's toenails...

    ReplyDelete