nutshells

drawings and observations by Zosienka the London illustrator

Wednesday 22 April 2009

Coraline

Coraline. Its here. I haven't seen it and am wary of the buttons (my Koumpounophobia)... and weary of the same ol' whimsy Tim Burton / Nightmare before Christmas style (spiraling branches and jagged cat tails), courtesy of Henry Selick. However, at the same time, I am completely impressed that a stop-motion film is fighting back against the CG disasters that poor children have had to endure this last decade. Well, there is a little computer work involved, but it's just the dustpan and brush that cleans up the very last bits.
It took 18 months to shoot.

Above is an image by Jon Klassen who worked on the film during the visual development process. He has used very fine light and colours in these images and I hope that it has translated to the film itself. He's so talented; I am an admirer.

No comments:

Post a Comment